Girl Boss: Teresa Stickler, Melrose Pharmacy
Teresa Stickler is a registered pharmacist and owner of Melrose Pharmacy in Phoenix, AZ. In 2011, Pharmacy Development Services (PDS) named Stickler Pharmacist of the Year. Read below to find out more about her journey starting the independently-owned pharmacy.
1. How did you come up with your business idea?
I came up with my business idea while I was working at a pharmacy chain. I got frustrated with how service was working at the store, and one night my husband suggested I open my own store. At first I wasn’t sure, but I did some research and worked on it.
2. What were you doing before this, and is this your first business?
Before opening Melrose Pharmacy I was working at a pharmacy chain. This is my first business.
3. What have you done that has been very effective in helping to grow the business?
I had business coaching from 3 different entities, which has been very useful. Business coaching really helped me know and understand what I needed to do. I’ve also worked with SBDC, and I was in an AAAME program. I’m always trying to educate myself and continually trying to learn more about businesses and owning a business. I also attend conferences frequently to stay up to date on the latest information.
4. Are there specific advantages, disadvantages to being a women business owner?
I don’t think so. Getting money in general was difficult, but I don’t know if that had anything to do with me being a woman. I think many businesses struggle with that. It’s just a matter of being confident in yourself and your business.
5. What advice can you share with other #Girlbosses in training?
Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help. Don’t be afraid to do it [start your business]. You can do it! Women are amazing. We can do anything.
6. What are you reading? What’s currently on your nightstand?
I haven’t finished the third 50 Shades of Grey (laughs).
I am currently working on a book about work-life balance. It’s called The Three Marriages: Reimagining Work, Self and Relationship by David Whyte.
7. What do you like to do for fun?
I love to swing dance and garden.